The other day I joked with a loyal listener that the day would come when he would issue a voice command to his car audio system: “Play Johnny Maraca.”
I can only hope.
Today’s technology will make that possible, whether it’s through a website or an iPhone app. Quality content is the key to radio’s future, even though it seems the trend is to have several stations and share (strrrrretch!) the limited number of announcers between them. “Hey, what a beautiful sunny day it is here in (town he or she is not actually in).”
May work for the bottom line but it’s shitty radio.
The Rock and Roll Riot was born in the digital age. It’s produced on a computer, mixing my voicetracks with song mp3s and programming elements and saved as three 19-minute mp3 segments. All that seems to clash with the old school, retro music and sound of the show but that’s modern radio. Sun Records tunes and Adobe Audition software.
I often wonder what it would have been like to have broadcasted my show back in the days of Alan Freed (the unofficial patron saint of the Riot). Live radio, running after 7 pm! Yes, there was a time when that happened on a regular basis. The person you heard at 11 pm was actually at the radio station!
Then again, do I want to be at the radio station at 11 on a Friday or Saturday night? No.
Broadcasting live from my condo, maybe.
Unlike the major music labels, I’m ready to embrace all that the digital world has to offer and make money from it. Hasn’t happened yet but as Seth Godin often says, you gotta persevere and create. Try. Fail. Try again, and believe that your hard work will pay off. I do. Thanks Seth.
After all, without the internet and WordPress, you wouldn’t be reading this.
RADIO SHOW, the Riot is on an indefinite hiatus, looking for sponsors or paid gigs
CLICK THE JUKEBOX TO GET TO MY iTunes PODCAST (free to download and subscribe)
Johnny’s Paypal link (see the Want Johnny to Write for You page)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated October 18, 2018
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame worst snubs: These 15 acts deserved a nomination - USA TODAY October 9, 2018
- Low Cut Connie's Adam Weiner Talks Rock and Roll, Sex-Positivity and Tina Turner - Seven Days October 17, 2018
- Stevie Nicks, Devo among 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction nominees - fox8.com October 9, 2018
- Author Florence Dore's new 'Novel Sounds' explores the link between rock and Southern fiction - The Advocate October 17, 2018