The TV series WKRP in Cincinnati gave us some classic lines. For most, the one that stood out was uttered by station manager Arthur Carlson after WKRP dumped live turkeys from a plane during a Thanksgiving stunt (based on a real-life incident).
The poor birds hit the ground “like bags of wet cement,” according to Les Nessman, and Carlson said, “”As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.”
My second favourite line came from Johnny Fever: “Christmas, a time of good cheer and bad music.”
I’m not a total grinch. I can enjoy the holiday favourites from Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Ray Charles and Brenda Lee but most Christmas music is horrible.
And, in most cases, there wasn’t really a demand. It’s not like fans of the Irish Rovers heard “The Unicorn” and thought, “Imagine what these guys could do with a Christmas song!” Then again, “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” is one I’ve grown to tolerate and occasionally smile about.
Do we really need Christmas albums by the latest country or pop sensations? No. Chances are their record companies suggested it as another way to clog the CD racks at Walmart and Best Buy. The thought of a Rascal Flatts Christmas makes me cringe.
Deck the halls and milk the holidays.
Okay, time to put a positive spin on this. Rock and Roll has given us some very good Christmas numbers like Chuck Berry’s “Run Run Rudolph” and…um, I’m sure there are more.
(Picture me whistling and staring at the ceiling).
Oh….Christmas in Jail by the Youngsters. Seriously, the Youngsters were a doo wop group from the ’50s and the song is bouncy warning about the perils of drinking and driving.
That’s one of the inspiring Christmas songs I’ll be playing this weekend on the Rock and Roll Riot. You’re welcome! And I’ll be giving you a beer in a tree. Well, Bob and Doug McKenzie will in their goofy version of the 12 days of Christmas.
Three french toast, two turtlenecks and a be-e-e-e-e-r, in a tree!
Have a rockin’ Christmas!
RADIO SHOW, the Riot is on an indefinite hiatus, looking for sponsors or paid gigs
CLICK THE JUKEBOX TO GET TO MY iTunes PODCAST (free to download and subscribe)
Johnny’s Paypal link (see the Want Johnny to Write for You page)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- The 2019 Rock Hall inductees are: Stevie Nicks, Janet Jackson, Radiohead and more - USA TODAY December 13, 2018
- Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott on Rock Hall Induction: ‘It’s a Badge of Honor’ - Rolling Stone December 13, 2018
- Maria Butina conspiracy case, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Geminid meteor shower: 5 things to know Thursday - USA TODAY December 13, 2018
- News 8 Throwback: San Diego rock and pop concerts in the 1970s, '80s & '90s - CBS 8 San Diego December 14, 2018
- The Zombies on Overdue Rock Hall Induction: ‘This Is a Life-Defining Moment’ - Rolling Stone December 13, 2018