This afternoon, I was given the task of shooting an iPhone video as a very talented young lady named Rebecca Stephens performed a few songs and chatted with my radio colleagues at 97.7 the Beach, Jocelyn Martin and Chris Carrigan.
They discussed the themes of Rebecca’s new EP and dealt with internet haters.
Even someone that sweet and genuine (I watched Rebecca perform at Wild Wing in Wasaga during her CD release party and you should have seen the look of pride on her Mom’s face) has to deal with haters.
The old saying, “opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one” has been amplified a thousand times on the internet and many posters hide behind aliases.
For reasons I have yet to fathom, Facebook, Twitter and God knows what else are buzzing over Avril Lavigne’s new video for “Hello Kitty.” It’s being called desperate, shameful and “the feel good video of the year.”
Okay, I thew that last one in there for fun.
My reaction after watching the Napanee native’s latest vid was, “So what?”
That’s scandalous? Shocking? Porno, you say? Not unless she’s banging Chad, although I would watch that.
I like Avril. I like Nickelback.
Whoosh, I just lost 100 Facebook friends. So what?
And while Arcade Fire is a talented band, I can’t get into them.
Click, click, click. Another 100 Facebook friends have disappeared.
There are plenty of artists I’m not crazy about but I do not hate Celine Dion, James Blunt, REO Speedwagon or Rascal Flatts.
They do not suck. They have talent. It’s just that they don’t appeal to me.
Of course, there’s that hipster, “you wouldn’t know good music if it bit you in the ass” attitude. Maybe they wish Arcade Fire, and not Nickelback, had sold 50 million albums worldwide.
Huge success makes you a prime target for haters. Tear ’em down. They can’t sing/play/write.
“My dog can play the hurdy gurdy better than Regine Chassagne”–@Stinkybutt92.
RADIO SHOW, the Riot is on an indefinite hiatus, looking for sponsors or paid gigs
CLICK THE JUKEBOX TO GET TO MY iTunes PODCAST (free to download and subscribe)
Johnny’s Paypal link (see the Want Johnny to Write for You page)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- The 2019 Rock Hall inductees are: Stevie Nicks, Janet Jackson, Radiohead and more - USA TODAY December 13, 2018
- Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott on Rock Hall Induction: ‘It’s a Badge of Honor’ - Rolling Stone December 13, 2018
- Maria Butina conspiracy case, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Geminid meteor shower: 5 things to know Thursday - USA TODAY December 13, 2018
- The 2018 Rock 'n' Roll Poll - Nashville Scene December 13, 2018
- News 8 Throwback: San Diego rock and pop concerts in the 1970s, '80s & '90s - CBS 8 San Diego December 14, 2018